Red Cross Lifeguard Review Course
Who can take a review course?
Anyone with a current lifeguard certificate (including Ellis & StarGuard) is eligible. We can extend to you a grace period for 30 days after your expiration. If you do not qualify, check out our standard course.
Candidates come to the instructor-led session, which is about 12 hours, and take an at-home final before coming.
1. Must have a current lifeguard certification or expired within 30 days. We need your old certificate number when you register.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
• Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. • Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
• Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Check out the video at the bottom of the page to see the prerequisite test in action.
■ Successfully complete the at-home final
■Attend and participate in all class sessions
■ Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
■ Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios
■ Pass both the Section 1—CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid and Section 2—Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period:
American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED: 2 years
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual (E-Book, included in course)
Check out the swimming pretest to enter the lifeguard review course.