Red Cross Shallow Water Lifeguard Course
Is this the right class for me?
The American Red Cross Shallow Water Lifeguard course can be used to work at facilities that only have a water depth of 5 ft and less. If your pool has no deep end, the swimming skills required for this course are less demanding than the standard course.
How does it work?
1. You take an online course and at-home-final at your own pace. You will be emailed these after you register.
2.Come to the two instructional days of this course. This is about half wet and half dry.
What is blended training?
Students complete an online training course, readings, and an at-home final before the course. This at-home work takes as must as 8 hours. Then candidates come to the instructor-led days.
1. Must be 15 years old on the last day of the course.
2. Swim 100 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles are allowed.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 50 seconds:
■ Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using the front crawl or breaststroke. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
■ Submerge to a depth of 4 to 5 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and walk or swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object at the surface of the water.
■ Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
■ Successfully complete the online course
■Attend and participate in all class sessions.
■ Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
■ Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
■ Pass Shallow Water Lifeguarding Skills final written exam with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period:
American Red Cross certificate for Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED: 2 years
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual (EBook, included in course)